FROM DRAB TO FAB

Can we turn a tired old 60s semi into a desirable home in six months? Read on and find out

Sunday 24 January 2010

The bathroom


Probably the biggest challenge in this house is the bathroom. It is tiny! Plus it's downstairs. I had toyed with the idea of putting a bathroom upstairs, but that would have meant sacrificing a bedroom. Or we could have built a new extension, but that would be too expensive and we'd lose money. So I shall have to get creative with the space I've got.

First I will replace the standard bathtub with a space-saver bath that will be narrower at the window end. This will give me an extra 20cm. It may not sound like much, but it's just enough to fit in a cabinet under the sink. The old stuff will be replaced with a new, minimalist toilet and sink and all the pipes, cistern, etc will be hidden away in fitted units to give a nice clean finish. Finally the radiator by the door will be replaced with a shiny new towel rail/radiator.

Well, that's the theory. Unfortunately special bathtubs aren't cheap, so I may try to save money by doing my own tiling. My Mom used to do it, so it's worth a try. Of course, I first have to get the old tiles off. And then there's the floor... but we'll worry about that another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment