FROM DRAB TO FAB

Can we turn a tired old 60s semi into a desirable home in six months? Read on and find out

Monday 18 January 2010

This is my first posting on my first blog - ever. It all came about because hubbie and I bought a house that's barely habitable and are planning to renovate it. Of course all our friends and family want to know what's going on, so I decided that a blog was the easiest way to let you see what we're doing.

At this point I should probably apologise to anyone who has stumbled upon this blog and expected a fascinating Grand Designs-style makeover. You will get bored! This is an ordinary 3-bed semi, not some great mansion, and we have a rather limited budget.

So what does this project entail? Well, the house was built in 1960/61 and still has many of the original features - like the wiring. An extension with a new kitchen was added in 2002, but this was done on the cheap, as was almost every other "improvement" to the house. This means we need to:
- rewire the entire house,
- put in a new central heating boiler and update the whole system,
- replace the bathroom fittings,
- replace the kitchen units,
- put down new flooring in every room with the possible exception of the kitchen,
- redecorate everything.

We've given ourselves about five months to get it all done. Obviously I'll need to hire a plumber and electrician for the tricky work, but how much other help I can afford depends on the budget. I'm going to be very busy.
That's all for now. More details (and photos) to come.